Dumas Heritage

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Dumas Heritage

Postby Judd Morgan » Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:42 am

There seems to be some hints throughout the Internet that the Dumas EC12 is not quite as good as other hull makers. I just purchased a new Dumas EC12 ready to sail. (Haven't gotten it yet). This will only be the 2nd EC12 at our club. http://www.emyc.org/ , so will not be raceing it. We race Fairwinds, RClasers, and open class 1M. I'll just be using the EC12 for cruising for now.

Any thoughts on the quality of the Dumas and or suggestions for improvement.
Judd Morgan

Postby PaulP » Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:23 pm

The Dumas hull has a little narrower keel than the rules allow. The result is you can't get as much lead down low as you can with other hull manufacturers. This makes the boat a little more "tender", meaning it will heel sooner in winds than another boat.

I wouldn't worry about it. When you get to competing at the Nationals in Man-on-Man racing, it may become an issue but you will be a better sailor since you will have learned how to handle a boat.

Sail away, the Dumas kit will serve you well

Paul Proefrock [8D]
PaulP

Postby Tony Johnson » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:24 am

Hi Paul, Tony, 077 CR914 from Columbia, MO last June, You know the one that got teamed by the eastern and CA sindicate.

I sail with JCM here in Minneapolis and just got another Dumas EC12 from a friend in Elco, NV. Has three suits of sails and in good condition. Rod is registering it as US 1736. There is another Dumas up here too in very good shape except it has non-paneled sails.

JCM's boat is about one inch wider than either of our Dumas hulls and has a more exaggerated upward sweep of the deck. Could it be a Dumas or something else?

Any more Region 4 races this fall?

US 1736 AMYA 8002
Tony Johnson

Postby PaulP » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:47 pm

Tony,
the other boat may be another mfg, it may be a modified Dumas. I'd look inside the hull for a manufacturers number. You should be able to trace the heritage by giving that or sail number to Rod Carr, the class secretary.

I think we in Reg 4 are enjoying a prolonged summer but probably on borrowed time. I anticipate "Hard Water" (ice) before too long. Don't know of any more reg 4 races till next spring.

Keep in touch, we're going to try to get together an EC12 regatta for Reg 4 next summer.

Paul P
PaulP

Postby Tony Johnson » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:00 am

I would like to race in region 4 so keep updated. Three of us up here in Minneapolis now and another talking about an EC12.

Mine is now officially registered as US 1736. Rod said that the class rules permit display of the last two didgits of the number so, if I understood that right, I can leave the US36 on all three suits.

US 1736 AMYA 8002
Tony Johnson

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:13 pm

Tony

That other "wider" Dumas may be an Ocean Reef 12. They are illegal now. Rod Carr may be able to help you identify it.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby Tony Johnson » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:33 pm

The boat that is out of spec belongs to JCM. Yeaterday we chiseled the improperly positioned lead out of it and replaced so that the boat now floats on its waterline, or as close to it as we can estimate at this point.

It dows have a Dumas hull ID but the hull number seems to have been obliterated ???.

From another post on the Wind Power forum it seems that it was built by someonw who hade no clue. The oversized width is due to its being built without measurements. Apparently the lead had been added and the hull bowed down in the incorrect cradle and then the deck was applied. The result is a very swooping deck that is high in the bow and transom and wide in the middle.

Looks like JCM has another winter project re-decking the boat and re-designing pretty much everything : (

US 1736 AMYA 8002
Tony Johnson

Postby Richard » Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:51 am

hello all

I to have just come by a dumas heaterage hull i think.

There is no numbedrs in hull, deck sure looh`s to be dumas.

Dug lead out 10#, Interested in pooring new led at 19#.

What problems do you folks see

Have read FREDS poast on making molde

rich

Richard W Marsh JR
Richard

Postby kahle67 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:09 pm

Rich,

Be careful not to go to heavy. You will end up way long on the waterline if you put 19# in a Dumas. Shoot for adding 16-17.5#'s of lead depending on the weight of your deck, rig, and internal components.

Reichard Kahle
kahle67

Postby Richard » Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:16 am

Reichard

I see what you mean.

Confused as to how to measure waterline.

Now where water line is measured on hull, but that`s notwhat you mean
corect.

Have been to Rick West`s site thay used precased lead,belave that will not fit my hull.

Have plenty of lead anay.

rich

Richard W Marsh JR
Richard

Postby Rob Stagis2 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:37 am

The *other* word out there regarding Dumas hulls is that they are excellent light-air boats. My buddy's is basically untouchable in light winds......... Keep the rig light (to keep the boat standing up) and have fun!!!!!
Rob Stagis2

Postby AJ Moritz » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:55 pm

Judd,

The Dumus - Heritage 12 (EC-12) can be a very competitive boat as like any other National Championship caliber EC-12 if she built correctly. Can not stress the meaning of OPTIMIZED enough in this regard. The key is to build the boat optimizing the deck, fittings and rig for the lightest configuration possible. This would be paramount with the Dumus! Because of the Dumus’s narrower and shorter keel area, she needs to have as much lead as possible to fill the keel cavity. This of course is insuring that she floats on the legal water line as prescribed in the Class Rules.

A skipper-builder can set-up or configure EC-12 for what conditions it will be sailing in. I.e, EC-12 skippers in Tucson AZ or in a desert type climate would be best served to configure their EC-12 for light-air. The Dumus is a great light air boat due to her narrower and shorter shoal-draft keel. Again, with a light-weight deck - "balsa core laminated deck", fittings and an optimized rig installed, the weight savings would be then transferred down low into her keel. This will pay in dividends on race day! She will perform a lot better going up wind and allow a much improved righting-moment which means she would be stiffer up-wind rather than to tender which allows for to much leaning over. Her waterline should be slightly over 42.5" when configure the weight of the lead ballast. If your Dumus is built with maximizing weight savings above the water line and aloft, she will perform well. Obviously there are other factors that goes into building a well balanced-competitive EC-12.

The BIG Question that you may need to address to our new Class Secretary - Rick West is rather or not the Dumas hull is Class-legal. You may not be aware of some changes in regards to a newer version of the class legal hull (mold) manufactured by Class approved manufactures. The new hull design was introduced in the late ‘90s so that all newly purchased hulls are from the same Class-controlled mold and all new hulls are the same. If you look at the History of the EC-12 Class with its array of slightly different hull configurations, you will you would better understand that it was a mix bag of hull shapes which counteracts the sprit of a one-design class. Dumus is on one end of the design spectrum where other mfrs. were offering their own EC-12 hull version that by in large were faily close to the now class std hull.

In the early to mid 90s, the class concluded that something would have to be done in order to instill conformity through out all manufactured hulls. This new endeavor was called "the 95 Std hull" which today, all approved hull manufactures must comply to…. Dumus is an exception to the 95 std hull & Class Rule of approved mfrs. In other words, Dumus had not complied with the new class std hull shape by going through a re-certification process using the class-controlled mold.. Thus it may not be legal. If you were to purchase an existing (already class registered) Dumus EC-12, she would be grandfathered into the Class which as I understand it, is acceptable.

I hope this helps!
AJ Moritz

Return to EC12 Chat