How far would you WALK with your boat to a Regatta

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

How far would you WALK with your boat to a Regatta

Postby breakwater » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:59 pm

Hi EC-12 Skippers.
Sorry if this is not the best "area" of the forum as to where to start the discussion, but it seemed like the best place to try.

I wanted everyone to take a moment and answer, candidly, How far would you walk with your boat to a stellar sailing venue?
Please form your answer to that before reading the rest.

Everyone knows that primo venues are at a, well, premium. And basically no place is not without some form of a challenge. There really are few idealistic venues and those blessed with them are very fortunate.
For the rest of us we make do with what we've got and chip away at it to make things better. Better area, better wind directions, course setting kayaks, amenities, etc, the list goes on.

My question is posed because I want to know exactly how much EC-12 skippers are willing to endure. These are not easy boats to transport.
I happen to be in an area where pond availability is at an extreme premium.
I ask because we have a core group of people who are looking to possibly make something happen in a great venue, with major challenges.
Now that you have formed your opinion from the question posed above. How do you feel about dealing with the parking (there is some) and the carry in from Back Street:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Storr ... 26b1ec0233

This area used to be used by the Boston Model Yacht Club beginning in the 1930s, before Storrow Drive.

Answer candidly. Is this something you would cope with?
Saying no is just as good as saying yes. History has shown that most modelers want to take the boat out of their trunk and sail.
12-1975
M-2333 M-2377 M-3741 M-3933
breakwater

Re: How far would you WALK with your boat to a Regatta

Postby greerdr » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:56 pm

I would probably have my MI (heart attack) climbing the stairs to cross Storrow Dr. I've often wondered where you guys parked as I drove by to visit my son at school.
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby breakwater » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:15 pm

Thanks Bob.

There's no hiding that there is a carry-in, from an extremely congested area.

Like Skiing, the worst part of the day is luging your junk from the hatchback up to the lodge, then back down. Yet we do it every year because the fun once you put all that junk on vastly surpasses what it takes to get there. It may be that people won't do this, because it's not worth it. I'm not sure. But the only way to find out is to "take the temperature"

If my local pond is the only one that ever is accessible in the area, that's fine with me. It's a blessing to have something and have the opportunity to sail, and that's more than what some people have available to enjoy the sport.

I also have an idea for another place, but it comes with even more challenges.
Family owns a 44' Mooring service barge, Docks, and other stuff. But the challenges and open water venue of that likely are more suited to an IOM type model yacht.
Here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5093052 ... a=!3m1!1e3

No harm in trying, but the primary focus is on Storrow Drive... Perhaps it's unreasonable.
12-1975
breakwater

Postby greerdr » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:01 pm

i live in Florida,have a place in Maine I can hardly ever get to;but I am really looking forward to finding a way(time) to sail with you guys.
I sail with Jim Linville on occasion-too rarely as he is such a pleasure-but I will continue to keep Boston in mind.
As to your open water idea-look at Newport or Mystic venues:very challenging and enjoyable!
R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:08 am

I was looking at this location on Google Earth and used the measure tool to try and figure out the distance. Looks like between 600 and 1000 feet over a walking bridge. Is that about right. I am guessing that with the use of a good cart, you could do it in one trip in and one trip out so it might not be so bad. If those are stairs rather than a ramp, it might be a different issue. There does look like there are some roads in the lagoon area. I am sure they are restricted, but maybe you can get permission for one or two vans or pick-up trucks to ferry boats and gear from the parking lot to the lake in the morning and afternoon. Everyone could load up in the parking lot and then walk over to the lake to meet the truck and unload.

I have been to venues that have no lakeside parking, but they let you pull up to drop off for a couple of minutes and then go park your car and walk back. In Ft. Lauderdale, there was one regatta where the parking lot was a good three football fields from the staging area. The local club had a couple of carts we could borrow, but it was still a challenge. there were some grumblings, but the sailing was a lot of fun and we quickly forgot about the trek. Until of course we had to pack it all up and schlepp it back to the cars.

Where there is a will, there is away. Give them a good regatta and they will forgive the hassle of the walk. Get as much local support as you can to help carry gear and maybe use some of the entry fee on a round of drinks at the dinner.

Or change the class to Micro Magics. :?
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby breakwater » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:56 pm

Lol

Yeah. Well... I am not 100% certain, but if I remember right, the Arthur Fiedler Footbridge is "handicap accessible" so that means one should be able to wheel a boat across the bridge. There certainly would be some grumbligs, but the question really is, does the end justify the means... Not sure yet.

Road and super-close nearby parking is 100% chance of not happening. The only possible way is to carry in over one of the bridges. Either that, or see if the Esplinade Association would allow temporary parking for a transport vehicle as proposed.

As far as the Venue here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5093052 ... a=!3m1!1e3
I feel that there are even more challenges.
There is a hotel and restraunts located here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5194033 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Which is close "landside" to the spot, but posses challenges in getting 20+ people out to our platform. We do have a 17' Montauk, but that only carries a couple people at a time, and that equates to 10 trips in a no-wake zone just to get things going. zzzzzzzz

The venue when you got there is way above average. Low chop in the back of the harbor, and sometimes a nice harbor hurricane with the ability to set marks in 360 degrees off a platform.

I guess another option is up and down Pickering Wharf... But that has challenges too.https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5184136 ... a=!3m1!1e3

If none of it works the old fallback is this, which really is a spectacular place to sail.
It does have some sour wind days, and is small for these 20+ competitor regattas, but It's a great place.

I count 12 Marbleheads in the Google Aerial shot, They've got plenty of room to run. Just looking for more!
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5100263 ... a=!3m1!1e3
12-1975
breakwater

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:34 pm

I do not know anything about Boston and the rest of MA. I went there in 1981 when I was young boat captain on a 56 foot ketch and never got past the dock master's office. But since you have put the links to different venues, I did some looking around and found this park with parking and foot path near the shore facilities and two ball parks with a playground. It is hard to see what kind of shore it has and how high the drop is, but it might be worth a look.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.518356, ... !1e3?hl=en
There is a restaurant called Bali Hai right there and hotels just up the road.
Joe Walter #24
Class Secretary
Capt. Flak

Postby bigfoot55 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:27 am

I gave up on finding even great venues and happy to sail in spots that will permit it. Just need to know what is needed to launch, and how far to carry. Paved path or not. Oh, the distance to the bathroom is more important than it used to be too. :(
Venue visibility and fleet size determine a lot when it comes to the enjoyment.
Tom Phillips
St Augustine, FL
bigfoot55

Return to EC12 Chat