EC12 Builders

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

EC12 Builders

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:56 am

Hi All,

Is there anyone who builds EC 12's from kits at a resonable price? I see kits and hull builders but no offers for fully built boats.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby greerdr » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:32 pm

Describe "reasonable".I would guess I have about 100 hours in labor building my last boat.I am somewhat faster now but it is labor-intensive to construct.There are no "kits" per se;you have to assemble the various parts for many different sources(see suppliers list at building site).Good boats seem to be selling in the $1200. to 1500 range.Keep an eye peeled at the for-sale sites here and honest ahab on AMYA site.Also at regattas boats come up for "sail".Good luck and welcome to the fleet.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby PegLeg » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:27 pm

I would be willing to build a quality EC 12 for $750.00 over actual parts cost. I have built 7 boats over the past 3 years. Each has reflected the owner's specific requirements. The total costs can range from $2,500 to $4,000 depending on the sails, hull manufacturer, radio and degree of sophistication the buyer wants included.

E-mail me if you are really serious at these price levels and we can discuss specifics.

Pete Kremlick
PegLeg

Postby Larry Ludwig » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:18 am

Man I hope you guys are right... I was selling a bare hull for $250, all the glass parts for $400. and a complete boat with radio and winch installed, Carr sails, aluminum spars and Futaba radio for $750

When we get our new molds I don't expect to be terribly far off that including Pekabe fittings. I can't imagine the prices being that high, but if the are... so much the better.
Larry Ludwig

Postby kahle67 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:04 am

The going rate for a 12 with the best of everything and ready to win regattas is about $1850. You just need to know where to look and who to ask.

Reichard Kahle
kahle67

Postby Larry Ludwig » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:28 pm

Amazing... I had no idea that they were that expensive. I would be most interested to know what people are actually paying for their boats. I know that none have been produced in the last 6 months so there is going to be a back log when everything gets fired up again.
Busy Busy
Larry Ludwig

Postby Mike Zellanack » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:08 am

The costs associated with the construction of a boat depends on the skippers requirements and whether or not he wants to perform some of the work or not. The experience and skill of the builder will also make a difference. Some cost reduction can be achieved by the use of less expensive components and alternate construction methods.
The new hull, deck and rudder combination will increase the cost a little. However, the number of hours required to complete the boat should be reduced somewhat.
I have constructed several boats and would be happy to discuss the details with anyone interested.

Mike Zellanack
Mike Zellanack

Postby kahle67 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:09 pm

<font size="5"></font id="size5"><font color="green"></font id="green">He's alive!

Whats up Z?
kahle67

Postby Capt. Flak » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:16 am

An observation from one who has sailed against most of these builders. Reichard Kahle, Mike Zellanack, Mark Rinehart, and David Brawner build exceptional boats that are ready to win races the minute they hit the water. Although it is my understanding that Brawner has backed away from building, I may be wrong.

Others like Pete Kremlick build great boats that are definately at the top of the fleet. And there are many guys around the country that build very nice boats. It all depends on the level of performance you seek and the size of your wallet.

That is a very dangerous statement to make about a one-design class, so I need to be clear that I am talking about the skill level of the builders and attention to detail. All the hulls and parts start out on an equal footing, it is how well they put them together that can make the difference.

The best thing about this class is while all these talented builders would love to make you a boat, all of them are always willing to share advice if you want to build it yourself.

Perhaps we should add a list of builders to the suppliers list.

On a more personal note, I built my own boat and I must have made a hundred calls to all of the names above seeking help and advice, and all of them were very supportive. I also read the EC-12 Manual from cover to cover several times before I ever started. After all that I began to build and it was much harder and more time consuming than I ever expected. The result, I feel, was a very cometitive boat. But if I was to start building boats for other people, I would be charging twice as much as they do. My hats off to all of them. It may look like a lot of money, but trust me it's a steal.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby Matthew Houghton » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:52 pm

I would first try to approach a local club. You will find that prices decrease incredibly when the person building your boat knows that it's also going to increase his fleet by another boat.

That's just my 2 cents
Matthew Houghton

Postby Matthew Houghton » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:03 pm

I should apologize ahead of time but I am going to buck the system a little bit folks. The difference between me and the people high up on the winners list is not my boat. Great boats can be had for "very little" money and might just make it easier to enjoy this hobby when just starting out.

Matt
Matthew Houghton

Postby kahle67 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:56 pm

Matt is right!

-Good tuning.
-Decent sails.
-A steady thumb.
-Tactics.
-Proper ballasting.
-A fair hull.

Nothing fancy, that is all you need.

RK
kahle67

Postby Philip Whitley » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:17 am

Hi Chuck,

You could try a New Zealand Boat, Dave Norris a professional boat builder, builds the best in New Zealand.

The exchange rate would prove benficial and of course you would get the best of New Zealands Latest inovations.

Check our class Website http:\\www.ec12.co.nz or contact Davie at davie@davienorris.co.nz if you wish to know more.
Philip Whitley

Postby Larry Ludwig » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:59 pm

Why don't you tell us what innovations, I would be interested to hear about them.
Larry Ludwig

Return to EC12 Chat