Help Rebuild EC12 #1

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Help Rebuild EC12 #1

Postby PaulP » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:19 pm

I'm Buddy Black's son and I'm in the process of rebuilding the #1 registered EC 12 hull. My goal is to outfit it as close to original as possible. I've got a wooden mast and a set of sails my Uncle Toty Black made for me. What I need is a rudder, set of wooden booms and the mast measurement schema for spreaders and stays. I also need the hardware, turnbuckles- etc... Would you have any suggestions?

I live in the West Palm Beach area.

Thanks

Jim Black
(561) 746-2476
PaulP

Postby greerdr » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:15 pm

Give me a call at 561-844-2464.We have about 6-8 EC-12's here in Palm Beach Gardens area and would be more than happy to help you out on the rebuild.I will loan you the manuals and HIGHLY recommend the build site here.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby Larry Ludwig » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:54 pm

I have some "Heritage" molds for decks, hatch covers and rudders as well as the more modern that replaced them all of which were part of John Reynolds shop (REYNOLDS MFG.) If any of those parts will help you I will be more than happy to donate.

Larry
Larry Ludwig

Postby bigdog » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:35 pm

Jim,
I have a schematic from 1975 for the Reynolds Mfg Co 12. I will see if Mr. Brawner will post it on these pages sometime soon.

Scott EC-12# 170, 270, AND 1578
bigdog

Postby yachtie » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:07 am

Paul

Can you pass on to Jim that I am sure we would all LOVE to see photos of GRANDMA - the number 1 boat in her present condition and as she progresses abck to racing trim.[:)][:D]

Cheers from Downunder

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
&
NZL110 Swept Away
yachtie

Postby PaulP » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:52 pm

I've sent a note to Jim, asking him to join the forum. Hopefully he'll show up here.

If I hear back, I'll post the info

Paul P
PaulP

Postby jbblackjr » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:06 pm

I just got Paul's email about the forum and this posting. I appreciate all the comments here and the offers of help. I guess the best thing I can do is to go to each of the above posts and respond independently.

I'll try to get pictures and post as I get them developed.

Thanks

Jim
jbblackjr

Postby jbblackjr » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:09 pm

For what it's worth, I actually remember building the original plug my dad gave to Reynolds!

When you say you have the schematic, do you mean an actual set of plans, or just the statistics?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bigdog</i>

Jim,
I have a schematic from 1975 for the Reynolds Mfg Co 12. I will see if Mr. Brawner will post it on these pages sometime soon.

Scott EC-12# 170, 270, AND 1578
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
jbblackjr

Postby jbblackjr » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:11 pm

If you have a rudder that will fit, that would be great -

Jim
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Larry Ludwig</i>

I have some "Heritage" molds for decks, hatch covers and rudders as well as the more modern that replaced them all of which were part of John Reynolds shop (REYNOLDS MFG.) If any of those parts will help you I will be more than happy to donate.

Larry
jbblackjr

Postby Larry Ludwig » Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:30 am

You betcha. Tell me how you want to do the rudder log. John had me just use brass rod/tube. I have the blue drawings that John sent with his boats for ease of finishing, not exactly plans, just his method of completing the boat. I will include that as well.
Larry Ludwig

Postby jbblackjr » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:22 am

Larry -

Your offer is most gracious. The brass rod/tube is how the old rudders were built and what the hull is configured for.

Thanks

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Larry Ludwig</i>

You betcha. Tell me how you want to do the rudder log. John had me just use brass rod/tube. I have the blue drawings that John sent with his boats for ease of finishing, not exactly plans, just his method of completing the boat. I will include that as well.
jbblackjr

Postby Larry Ludwig » Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:17 pm

Glad to help, I know I speak for literally countless others when I say that we owe a lot to guys like your Dad and John Reynolds and the list goes on and on for helping to make this hobby what it is today. When looking back, I thought it would have grown by leaps and bounds since I became involved with it as a kid, but in the `70's R/C models were pricey and at a time when you had to have more than a paper route or an interested parent to get you over the humps. R/C sailboats were not cheap, and not many of them around.... a terrific value as we all know... not many guys out there that can log flight hours to match a sailboat for durability...but that initial $$$ made it tough for kids my age to even think about a model. Now, with PC Games, Nintendo, etc... it is a wonder that kids are even interested at all. If we want to see the hobby grow and prosper it takes some effort to help it a long and I am sure that everyone here does that already.

Glad to do it,

LL
Larry Ludwig

Return to EC12 Chat