Smooth hull

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Smooth hull

Postby Skip Quinn » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:58 pm

I have a Hickman hull that I have spray painted with three coats of PPG. The hull is very smooth. Do I stand to gain anything by wet sanding. Thanks Skip[8D]

Skip
Skip Quinn

Postby kahle67 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:52 am

Absolutely! If the paint job is perfect (no orange peel), start as high as 1000 grit then move to 1500. If you would like to bring back some of the gloss, you could then use some marine polish (not wax).

A new paint job may look smooth but it is "sticky". I can't really explain the scientifics of surface drag, I just know from past experience. Trust me, you will be faster through the water especially downwind in light air.

Reichard Kahle
kahle67

Postby Skip Quinn » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:38 pm

Hi Reichard.
I thought this might be the case, but wasn't sure. I have read the stories about water on the hull. I just hated to mess up a great paint job, but will surly give it a try. Thanks very much. Skip[8D]

Skip
Skip Quinn

Postby Larry Ludwig » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:30 am

Before you mess up a really great paint job, go sail your boat and see how it compares to other boats.... surface tensions are dealt with in micro-knots. If you are late on one tack, or miss a windshift... you have blown the advantage of your hull surface for the next 10 races. Being better with your rudder and trim will serve you a lot more.

You can polish out your finish... but if you are not familiar with finishes, or have someone helping that is... you have a very good chance of spending a lot of time, reasonble amount of money (to do it right) and more than enough arm power to get it better than it is right now.

There is no question, that a super fine finish comes from the rubout... not the paint... but it takes a fine eye to get it right. Atleast pracice on something else first.
Larry Ludwig

Postby Skip Quinn » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:05 pm

Hi Larry
Will keep that in mind. Thanks Skip[8D]

Skip
Skip Quinn

Return to EC12 Chat