Verizon Mobile Hotspot

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Verizon Mobile Hotspot

Postby Rick West » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:56 pm

Do any of you have experience with this device; costs, service, speeds, streaming service and GB usage?

Need to compare with AT&T model for replacing mobile full WiFi service. thanks.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby skip241 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:18 pm

Rick, you knowing I work in a technology team at the office, we swapped our Verizon air cards for the Verizon Hot Spots. Our reasoning was that the air cards were very difficult to make work in different laptops when people needed them. The Hot Spots create a temporary private network that only requires the end user to input a 14-16 digit code associated with the Hot Spot. No additional software is needed on the laptop. So, anyone can use the unit as long as they have that privacy code. Also, up to five laptops can use the Hot Spot at the same time (they all have to enter the code). The speed is much faster than the air cards as well. For us, the cost is the same as an air card so there was no question about changing. It works where ever Verizon has cell service. For us in my region, it far exceeds AT&T. The only drawback is that the battery in the unit only lasts a couple of hours. So, you need to be able to charge it. I plan on bringing mine to the Nationals in order to send you the scores for your web input. Since I will have mine, you can connect to it as well. Hope this helps. Skip [:D]
skip241

Postby Rick West » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:58 pm

Okay, the description and use is the same as the AT&T unit. Power is not an issue these days. There is a third party cradle for that and a remote antenna available for the AT&T units.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby jrutherford » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:39 pm

Ditto to everything Skip said. But also to add that the Verizon network supports 4G speeds much better than ATT has been able to support. For right now Verizon is better deal with better coverage.

Just so you know I am an ATT customer because I did so much business in Europe and wanted to stay on a GSM network. But for the new hotspots, Verizon is a better deal.

cheers,
jrutherford

Postby Bobby Dodger » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:06 pm

Rick, I use a Verizon mobile hotspot with my iPad and it's great. I can take it to the lake to check weather radar. Costs about $40 a month for the cheapskate data plan,; I use it almost every day and I've never come close to my limit. I like it better than using wifi hotspots in restaurants etc. for security. It's a little slow for some types of video but apart from that it does everything I want.

Cheers
Rick F
Bobby Dodger

Postby hedderick » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Rick, you may want to go to an apple store and check out the ipad2. For me it does everything I did on a computer. I rarely even fire up the old box.
Anyway the point is that the IPad2 runs on wireless and the if wireless is not available it seamlessly switches to a phone network (either Verizon or AT&T ). The 3G acces cost is about $20/month.
The iPad only weighs 1 pound and has a 10 hour battery life. It would be perfect for living on a boat.
Apple systems take a little getting used to, but if you try it you won't go back.

Richard Hedderick
hedderick

Postby Capt. Flak » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:00 am

Plus for about $9 a month you can get GoToMyPC for your iPad and your entire home PC can be accessed from you iPad anywhere you are connected to Wi-Fi or on 3G.

In 5 years, nobody will have a laptop anymore.

Joe Walter #24
Capt. Flak

Postby Rick West » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:54 am

Yeah, I know, my Dell PC In Inpiron LT or the Dell Mini are 20th century machines used only by about 95% of users and businesses. I have no issue with the iPad other than it does not fit my style of computing in utility.

The Hot Spots all do about the same and cost about the same. It was Verizon that I was interested in for Streaming is the issue to a Home (boat) network five months a year that includes a TV. I know 5GB is not enough but that is not an issue either. This will be the primary use of the device, as available WiFi has not been a problem when traveling.

While we are about to get rid of AT&T DSL service in our remote location home in pre WWII Pacifica I am looking at Comcast and Verizon as alternatives. The latter I know the least about. So this all helps. thanks.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Return to EC12 Chat