Making body part/joint pain go away

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Making body part/joint pain go away

Postby s vernon » Tue May 10, 2011 5:19 pm

I asked my wife if this might work for a lot more people than just me and she said yes so I will share it.

As an old person my neck, my lower back and my right shoulder hurt now and then. I used to go to the chiropractor for my neck and they helped me a lot. It pretty much stopped hurting, so I stopped going, but I am able to make any occasional pain go away by just turning my head to the max (not forcing it) to one side and then the other a few times. I have military neck probably due to years at a computer/scope.

My right shoulder aches now and then. Out of the blue a couple weeks ago a friend with shoulder pain said that his doctor told him to lean over a chair, dangle his arm down holding a small weight (3.5 lbs in my case) and swing his hand in a circle. I tried it and it is like magic. No more ache until the next time it hurts.

My lower back hurts now and then, so after all of this previous success I decided to Google it on the internet and discovered a couple of You Tube videos showing yoga moves: cat, child and cobra, plus another one that I do first which is twist to one side and then the other while in that same hands and knees position. Pain goes away in a short time after I do those for only a few times each.

I know it is not that simple for a lot of people, and I sympathize with you, but these worked for me.

Scott
s vernon

Postby greerdr » Tue May 10, 2011 7:08 pm

As an Osteopathic physician I TOTALLY endorse Scotts recommendations,in fact ,that is exactly how my profession started over a century ago.
The technique he describes is called(in the jargon) "muscle energy and strain/counterstrain" and I apply it to my patients daily.It can be done solo.
Thank you Scott for sharing a very useful tip for a lot of us old guys who hurt.

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby bigfoot55 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:11 pm

I resemble that. Bob is GOOD!
bigfoot55

Postby Laura Niehus » Sat May 14, 2011 1:54 pm

Thanks. I injured my lower back at the gym. I have found hanging in the pool in an inner tube and flexing my feet to alleviate the strain and pain.

I am going to try the yoga moves mentioned.
Laura Niehus

Postby s vernon » Sun May 15, 2011 9:00 pm

The other one also shown on a You Tube video had us in the same hands and knoees position and inhaling while sort of lifting the chest and dropping your belly button while lifting the head and then exhaling while raising the belly button (arching the back) snd dropping the head.

I forgot to include that. Hopefully you can find it in a video. That makes a good first excersise.

Scott
s vernon

Return to EC12 Chat