Boat sling

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Boat sling

Postby starboard48 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:04 pm

Has anyone looked at the sling shown on ec12.net at : http://ec12.net/Bldg_Ideas/Strap.htm

I have used the dimensions in the drawing but don't have the length he seems to get in the photo of him holding it. Is 60" the right overall length? I want to build this as it will help my back to be able to lower it and retrieve from the water. Any feedback is appreciated. Tim

Tim Guy
starboard48

Postby geeks2you » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:12 am

***** DISCLAIMER: The following is a non-paid endorsement! :) ******

I must admit that Bob at RMD Marine has one of the best boat launchers that you can design for ease of use. It is pretty much all you see these days at regattas. I have a strap for mine and since getting a launcher, I have not even gotten it wet once. ANd it folds up for ease of transportation. Check his site out in the "Class Suppliers" section on the website.

Eric Olson
Atlanta Model Yacht Club
AtlMYC.org
geeks2you

Postby starboard48 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:58 pm

Thanks Eric. Sounds like what I'm after. I have a call into Bob as I'd like to see a photo somewhere of the Launcher that his catalog of products doesn't show. I assume you use a strap for the launcher he sells?

Tim Guy
starboard48

Postby Rick West » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:18 pm

Support Equipment Boat Lift on the Class Building site.
http://www.ec12.info/Boat%20Lift.htm

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby greerdr » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:16 pm

the strap is light and easy but RMD rig is the best !

R.C.Greer
greerdr

Postby rayhall » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:30 pm

I spoke with Bob at RMD yesterday and he said he should have more in stock about 2-3 weeks. He's waiting for them to come in from his manufacturer. Hope this helps.....
rayhall

Postby MichaelJ2K » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:37 am

I use the strap but added a quick release clip that I wrap around the hull ahead of the backstay. This way I don't accidently change the backstay adjustment.

Mike Denest
EC12 #899
MichaelJ2K

Postby PaulP » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:38 am

Tim,
I'm the guy in the picture and the one who posted the dimensions. You can play with the overall length to get the boat to hang at the height you want. A couple items are important

1) the shorter the straps, the easier it is to carry the boat but it becomes more difficult to hook up when she's floating in the water. It becomes a trade-off.
2) Overall length must be long enough to slip the loops over the bow and stern.
3) but short enough the keel doesn't drag when you're carrying it.

Adjust to your preferred carrying posture

Paul
PaulP

Postby marcsmith » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:16 pm

Tim

I made a strap out of seat belt webbing ... readilly available in any junk yard for next to nothing...but as a landscaper I go through about 1500 feet every year for various lifting odds and ends So I buy it in bulk...

I hand stitched my loops with 65lb spectra. as other has said when the water is low getting the loops on the boat and maintaining tension to keep the loops in place can be a struggle. if you make your strap and its too long. you can always tie a few knots in the strap to "shorten" it up...

I like the pipe/tube carrying rack, but its not real "portable" nice thing about the strap is that you can put it in your pocket or drape it around your neck and you've always got your "sling" with ya. No having to worry about grabbing someone else rack. I do notice that the racks end up piling up near the put-in-take out location and can become a potential tripping hazard for those of us who still drag our knuckles while walking...:)

also when done for the day I wad the strap up and drop it under the deck when I pull the battery out for the last time...
marcsmith

Return to EC12 Chat