Shipping an EC12

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

Shipping an EC12

Postby PaulP » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Does anyone have experience with shipping an EC12. Looking for references or pictures of the crate you used and the preferred carriers

Paul
PaulP

Postby Bigjake » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:53 pm

Paul,

I shipped a boat a bit smaller than an EC12 once. What I did was construct a box out of 10 mm plywood. The boat was placed on a well padded cradle that was attached to the bottom of the box with screws. The boat was retained in the cradle by bungee cords. The rig was placed on top of thwarts placed clear of and above the boat, screwed to the sides. The box was closed with a plywood lead, held in place also by screws. The whole thing was bullet proof and the boat arrived safe and sound.
Bigjake

Postby yachtie » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:55 am

As one who has travelled internationally with my EC12 the answer can be simple or complex. Are you taking it as checked baggage or sending by freight company?

I have tried 3 separate methods, plywood crate (looks like a coffin [:I]) Polystyrene crate with vinyl exterior (looks like coloured coffin [:p])and softbag with boat packed inside fibreglass tube and well padded with foam (Lightest method)[:D]

If sending by freight company best solution probably as per previous post as the generally measure volume and not weight as airlines do. Also allows for the "idiot factor" at freight depots along the way.

Chris
NZL1 Longtack
NZL110 Swept Away NZL128 Ketch me if U Can
yachtie

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:55 am

Hi Paul,

Since I have seen too many damaged boats after a trip through any freight system, I have found the best way to move an EC12 is by car. If the recipient is not in a rush, we can move the boat via another RC skippers travels.

Where does the boat/rigs need to go?

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby PaulP » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:38 pm

Chuck
Boat moving from Saint Louis to Dallas. About 600 miles with no EC12 drivers in the general area.

Greyhound is quoting around $100 and you can't buy gas for that price. Dick Gerry and Rick West have reported good luck using Greyhound. The porters are usually "older gentlemen" so the baggage is handled a little easier.

Paul
PaulP

Postby Rick West » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:56 am

I love those gentlemen

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:13 am

Sounds like a great idea. I had not used Greyhound before. Let us know how things work out.

Just so you know, the Star 45 Nationals are in Ohio this year and a number of boats come up from Texas. Do you want me to check with them and see if they can take it back with them in the event that something changes?

Let me know,

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Rick West » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:24 pm

It works out great. six EC12s have made trips across the country on Greyhound without a scratch to the boat or the crate.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Return to EC12 Chat