America's Cup

This is for those that like chat room doings that are not related directly to the sharing of information regarding the hobby/recreational interests in the EC12.

Moderators: Capt. Flak, bigfoot55, Chuck Luscomb

America's Cup

Postby PaulP » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:22 pm

Does anyone know of a broadcast channel of the upcoming races?

I understand you'll be able to watch it real-time on the internet but I sure would like to be able to see it on a HDTV

Paul
PaulP

Postby deafsail » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:59 am

WATCHING THE AMERICAS CUP
While all the information is still not available on what television and Internet options there are to watch the 33rd Americas Cup, Scuttlebutt did receive this update regarding ESPN360.com in the United States:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
For the first time in its programming history, ESPN360.com -- ESPN's 24/7 broadband sports network -- will carry the oldest sporting trophy event and sailing's most prestigious regatta and match race, the 33rd America's Cup. The best of three races duel will take place live from Valencia, Spain beginning Monday, Feb. 8th at 3:45 a.m. ET. Race 2 is scheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 10th and -- if necessary -- Race 3 on Friday, Feb. 12th, both at 3:45 a.m. ET.

Calling the event for ESPN360.com will be ESPN sailing commentator and president of US SAILING Gary Jobson along with renowned sailing expert Randy Smyth, both former winners of the America's Cup. ESPN360.com is ESPN's live sports broadband network, giving fans a 24/7 online destination that delivers more than 3,500 live, global sports events annually. It is available at no additional cost to fans who receive their high-speed Internet connection from an affiliated service provider. -- http://www.ESPN360.com

* OWNER/DRIVER: Swiss billionaire Ernesto Bertarelli said he will personally take the helm of his yacht Alinghi when one of the most controversial America's Cup events in history finally gets under way next week. "I'm going to do it... I think I am at a sufficient level (of skill and experience) to steer the boat, it's an honor and a pleasure to do so in this America's Cup," the Valencia-based Spanish newspaper Las Provincias quoted him as saying. -- http://tinyurl.com/ykwxm7n
deafsail

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:58 am

For the first time in its programming history, ESPN360.com -- ESPN's 24/7 broadband sports network -- will carry the oldest sporting trophy event and sailing's most prestigious regatta and match race, the 33rd America's Cup. The best of three races duel will take place live from Valencia, Spain beginning Monday, Feb. 8th at 3:45 a.m. ET. Race 2 is scheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 10th and -- if necessary -- Race 3 on Friday, Feb. 12th, both at 3:45 a.m. ET.

Gary Jobson will hosting...

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Jon Luscomb » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:07 am

I can't wait to see these monsters fly!

I would rather wonder why I won than to know exaclty why I lost.
Jon Luscomb

Postby PaulP » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:45 pm

But you missed the comment HDTV

I'd prefer to watch this on a 50+ inch Hi Def flatscreen.

When the ESPN360 feed only comes thru to my laptop or desktop computer, even at full screen, it is only a few inches big.

I don't understand why none of the American Satellite channels aren't displaying it. If you're in the Middle East or Europe, you can get a satellite feed

[V]

Paul
PaulP

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:16 pm

Even if it was on TV, I am not sure I could look at a 50" HDTV at 3:45am.

How much of pre game BS do we have to endure before the first gun?

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby Rick West » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:26 am

Uncle Frank will answer your question about US vs Europe tomorrow at 1700E. I have grown tired of this too and it is not about sports and honor.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Jon Luscomb » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:18 am

Rick:

You are right, but these boats are amazing! The Oracle wing produces the ability to do 3 times wind speed and can fly a hull in 7 knots true. In 7 knots, the boat will do 22 kts. What is also cool is that much of the technology here will trickle down to the EC -12 in years to come. I have already begun pricing on hydraulic servo motors to trim the sails, devised a water ballast system and have sketched out a wing design fat head main that wirelesly transmits back to my laptop wind angles at 4 staitions on the wing while the laptop computer constanly trims each section as I change the boats direction or a minute shift is registered. John Bottensek and Scott have my sketches as we speak and based on early testing, they both are very optimistic. Now this is what I call pure sailing when money is no object. Can you imagine the size of the pond we will need? I'm thinking Lake superior for the 2037 NCR. See you in Palm Beach Gardens.

Best,

Jon Luscomb

Postby Rick West » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:32 pm

Hehe, it could take this group a quarter of a century to produce the rule changes. I think classic sailing will prevail and current projects to build for and sail a classic J Class series with draw more interest.

Yes, they are incredible machines and they may survive the series. My opinion that close racing will be avoided for I think that contact of these boat designs could be fatal to the boats and the series and back to the attorneys. In match racing, to me, has always been the tactical contest and not the drag race.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Jon Luscomb » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:27 pm

Rick:

Again you are right. I love the EC-12 and the J- class the way they are and seek no changes except self improvement and more sailors. We have 3 new boats in our fleet. 2 bought boats outside our fleet and one bought from a fleet member (unfortunately) so we are gaining numbers!

However, back to the A/C: I still am looking forward to seeing these buggars go head to head. It will be a technological marvel just to get decent TV/video footage of them finally getting at it. Odds are on BMW so far, but anything can happen.

By the way, if things go as planned, I will be taking delivery of a new RMD short kit on Valentines day. I would like to keep/get sail number 45. Is that possible? I looked at the list and see that there is one, but no yrn is listed and it is from 1973 or something.

I still liked the lake superior crack.....

Jon Luscomb

Postby Rick West » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:45 pm

Nope. You can use 1045 on all your boats as long as you still own it.

...94 [8D]
Rick West

Postby Jon Luscomb » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:47 pm

Can I request 2045 for the new boat?

Jon Luscomb

Postby Chuck Luscomb » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:53 pm

I am putting money on Alingi simply because of size and maneuverability. This is a buoy race and not a straight line drag race so Alingi may not be as big or as fast but I will bet they will be able to respond quicker to wind shifts than Oracle will.

Oracle might be a marvel of technology but it will come down to the crew and the efficiency between one tack and another. Once ahead at the mark rounding, all Alingi will have to do on the run is be as fast.

Should be an interesting match.

Chuck
Chuck Luscomb

Postby PaulP » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:44 am

After two days of playing on the site, I've figured out how to at least run it at full screen on my 20" computer monitor.

One of the side benefits, the ESPN360 site allows for replay of an event. At least I don't have to be up at 3 in the morning to watch the races.

I am hopeful that a month from now, I will be able to view the actual cup when Rick West takes me to lunch at the San Francisco Yacht Club. I have reciprocal honors from my club so we should be able to get past the maitre'd

Paul
PaulP

Postby PaulP » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:00 pm

Day 1
Elon racing conditions
Race postponed to day two

Just watched the commentary. Best two out of three. 20 miles out and back I love a drag race

Paul
PaulP

Next

Return to EC12 Chat